Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Power

I wish I could do some muscle-flexing once in a while. No silly, not that way.

You know, order people about, get things done for me by people who try to fold their hands and cover their mouths at the same time when they talk to me, have people fighting with each other to make me a cup of coffee, and have people book hotels and flight tickets and concert entry passes whenever and wherever I wish to go.

The other day, I was making my way back home on my motorcyle in a sedate manner after I had filled it up. It was rush hour. I was occupying a lane nearer to the left corner of the road, and minding my own business. When I heard a siren.
Thinking it was an ambulance, I moved a bit more towards the corner of the road, in the pretext of making room for it. Which is when I saw two lights twenty feet off the ground and a siren coming towards me at about mach 5 in my rear view mirror. And it didnt look like it was slowing down.
I swear, I have never made such a fast and dangerous lane changing maneuvere in my life. It was a suicidal move in order to avoid being killed. And then it passed me. An entire motoring cavalcade.
The vehicle that had prompted me to change lane was a Mahindra Bolero, which was filled with about 100 people having machine guns in their hands, leaning out of the window screaming at everything they went past, including me, other motorists, empty vehicles by the side of the road, and I think I even saw one or two of them shouting at compound walls.
It was followed by another similar jeep, and another, and another, and so on, and in the middle, there was this swanky Mitsubishi Pajero, followed by some 55 more jeeps.
Like moses, they parted the sea of motorists within milliseconds. Without anywhere else to go, I had to pull up near the divider in the middle, and kept getting screamed at even then by every jeep passing by.
The scary part is that for not a single moment, the guy piloting the frontmost vehicle (which, if you think about it, literally decides how fast the cavalcade is going) ever slowed down, even when motorcyclists and others were within inches of the jeep's bodywork. I do not know what he eats, but it sure aint normal food. He must certainly be a suicidal cannibal. (there I am, my second contradictory sentence in this article)
It was a nerve-wracking experience, and the funny part is that it lasted no more than ten to fifteen seconds. One might question how so many vehicles could pass by in such a short while, but it did happen.

It was a crushing display of power, because it is no mean task to part a wide clearing in Chennai rush hour traffic, you need some real power for that kidna thing.

Yes, forget the other trappings of power, just a motor cavalcade wherever I go will be fine.

1 Comments:

Blogger mirage said...

hey! guess what would happen if the first one slows down...all those following dumb jeeps would ram into one another! it would have been a lot more funnier! :)

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home