Sunday, July 23, 2006

My First Crash

Everyone has one. When one is a few months into riding/driving, and obtains a fake confidence that he or she is completley aware of their vehicle's limits, and feels that his or her driving skills are unsurpassed as far as driving their machine is concerned.
When the vehicle is generally a safe one, and has a depth of ability that most sane peole would not dare to venture into, there isnt a problem. When the pilot is a bit lacking in mental ability and in posession of a safe-handling vehicle, a serious crash may result.
That possibility was ruled out in my case because (a.) I am certified to be sane and in possesion of a brain ( the latter qualifying the need to include the former) and (b.) My vehicle's limits, though not very clearly defined, are not that tough to reach. Which means I wont crash at a million miles an hour.

So to the incident under discussion. There is this place where I turn off from the main road into a street which I must travel through in order to reach my house. In my beginning days, I would attack this corner with utmost caution, nursing my 2-stroke scooter gingerly through it.
As the days (and 2 months) passed, I became more and more confident. And failed to comprehend that there might be a limit to the cornering speed (as my Physics teacher tried to explain to me on numerous occasions) and that the vehicle's handling may be severly compromised once water on the road were brought into the equation.
So I entered the corner at 25, which isnt too bad if you think about it (even though it was a 90 degree blind turn). The stupid part was, I gave full throttle in the course of my cornering procedure, sending my scooter's rear end swinging sideways in a pendlulum effect. It was pointless to try and control the spin, so I concentrated on keeping myself unhurt. Which I did, when I skid along the ground to a noisy, grinding halt.
So I was getting up and dusting myself off and convincing myself that I was not broken and the bike wasnt, when I heard barking.
And there it was, a scraggly looking street dog barking his dirty little head off at me. He obviously did not like me intruding into his area in such a ghastly manner, and was registering his feelings most vehemently. I had a hunch that this dog backed his barking with a strong bite, going by his threatening advances, so I made haste to pick by bike up and get going. Thankfully, I found the engine running, and was off before you could say "bengalooroo".
The dog gave chase, as I accelrated away in a medley of dust and engine roar. I ws sure he would catch up with me in no time (dogs have a 0-40 time of an incredible 1.7 seconds), but, luckily, a passing good samaritan found the time to divert the dog's motion by shooing him away from his desired path.
Freed from canine danger, I fled. And learnt a very important lesson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home